SOPPA Information Page
Student Data Privacy: LeRoy CUSD #2 takes the privacy of our student's data seriously. This page intends to make our data collection and usage as transparent as possible. We are working diligently to be compliant with the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) as it goes into effect July 1, 2021.
Below you will find information about the various Data Privacy Laws and what they mean to our students and families.
Important Data Privacy Laws
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Governs information in a student's education record, restricting access and use of student information
- Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Restricts the collection of personal information from children under 13 by companies operating websites, games, mobile applications, and digital services that are directed to children or that collect personal information from individuals known to be children.
- Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA)
- Guarantees that student data is protected when collected by educational technology companies and that data is used for beneficial purposes only.
- Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
- Imposes certain requirements on schools that utilize the federal E-Rate program to receive discounts for Internet access and other technology services, or that receive federal grants for other technology expenses.
Related Board Policy and Adminstrative Procedures
List of PII Potentially Collected (under construction)